Diffstat (limited to 'Documentation/video4linux/bttv/PROBLEMS')
1 files changed, 0 insertions, 62 deletions
diff --git a/Documentation/video4linux/bttv/PROBLEMS b/Documentation/video4linux/bttv/PROBLEMS
deleted file mode 100644
@@ -1,62 +0,0 @@
-- Start capturing by pressing "c" or by selecting it via a menu!
-- Start capturing by pressing "c" or by selecting it via a menu!!!
-- The memory of some S3 cards is not recognized right:
- First of all, if you are not using XFree-3.2 or newer, upgrade AT LEAST to
- XFree-3.2A! This solved the problem for most people.
- Start up X11 like this: "XF86_S3 -probeonly" and write down where the
- linear frame buffer is.
- If it is different to the address found by bttv install bttv like this:
- "insmod bttv vidmem=0xfb0"
- if the linear frame buffer is at 0xfb000000 (i.e. omit the last 5 zeros!)
- Some S3 cards even take up 64MB of memory but only report 32MB to the BIOS.
- If this 64MB area overlaps the IO memory of the Bt848 you also have to
- remap this. E.g.: insmod bttv vidmem=0xfb0 remap=0xfa0
- If the video memory is found at the right place and there are no address
- conflicts but still no picture (or the computer even crashes),
- try disabling features of your PCI chipset in the BIOS setup.
- Frank Kapahnke <email@example.com> also reported that problems
- with his S3 868 went away when he upgraded to XFree 3.2.
-- I still only get a black picture with my S3 card!
- Even with XFree-3.2A some people have problems with their S3 cards
- (mostly with Trio 64 but also with some others)
- Get the free demo version of Accelerated X from www.xinside.com and try
- bttv with it. bttv seems to work with most S3 cards with Accelerated X.
- Since I do not know much (better make that almost nothing) about VGA card
- programming I do not know the reason for this.
- Looks like XFree does something different when setting up the video memory?
- Maybe somebody can enlighten me?
- Would be nice if somebody could get this to work with XFree since
- Accelerated X costs more than some of the grabber cards ...
- Better linear frame buffer support for S3 cards will probably be in
- XFree 4.0.
-- Grabbing is not switched off when changing consoles with XFree.
- That's because XFree and some AcceleratedX versions do not send unmap
-- Some popup windows (e.g. of the window manager) are not refreshed.
- Disable backing store by starting X with the option "-bs"
-- When using 32 bpp in XFree or 24+8bpp mode in AccelX 3.1 the system
- can sometimes lock up if you use more than 1 bt848 card at the same time.
- You will always get pixel errors when e.g. using more than 1 card in full
- screen mode. Maybe we need something faster than the PCI bus ...
-- Some S3 cards and the Matrox Mystique will produce pixel errors with
- full resolution in 32-bit mode.
-- Some video cards have problems with Accelerated X 4.1