Diffstat (limited to 'Documentation/powerpc/zImage_layout.txt')
1 files changed, 0 insertions, 47 deletions
diff --git a/Documentation/powerpc/zImage_layout.txt b/Documentation/powerpc/zImage_layout.txt
deleted file mode 100644
@@ -1,47 +0,0 @@
- Information about the Linux/PPC kernel images
-Please mail me (Cort Dougan, firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have questions,
-comments or corrections.
-This document is meant to answer several questions I've had about how
-the PReP system boots and how Linux/PPC interacts with that mechanism.
-It would be nice if we could have information on how other architectures
-boot here as well. If you have anything to contribute, please
-let me know.
-1. PReP boot file
- This is the file necessary to boot PReP systems from floppy or
- hard drive. The firmware reads the PReP partition table entry
- and will load the image accordingly.
- To boot the zImage, copy it onto a floppy with dd if=zImage of=/dev/fd0h1440
- or onto a PReP hard drive partition with dd if=zImage of=/dev/sda4
- assuming you've created a PReP partition (type 0x41) with fdisk on
- The layout of the image format is:
- 0x0 +------------+
- | | PReP partition table entry
- | |
- 0x400 +------------+
- | | Bootstrap program code + data
- | |
- | |
- | | compressed kernel, elf header removed
- | | initrd (if loaded)
- | | Elf section table for bootstrap program
-2. MBX boot file
- The MBX boards can load an elf image, and relocate it to the
- proper location in memory - it copies the image to the location it was
- linked at.